Wednesday, February 27, 2013

GOMBO - Souper Immunity Soup

I'm back in action. I've been set back with more than a few nanny transitions in the past few months, plus a really bad cold...but we're on the up and up and I'm more committed to ever to bring this blog back to life!

I'm going to start with a very exciting winter soup.  I'm so proud of this soup. I was out shopping at the Farmer's Market on Sunday and had no list (gasp).  So I thought to myself, hey - what sounds good? What could I make?  Well, the mushrooms looked good. The asparagus were fresh.  Hmmm...white beans...can't go wrong with Kale.  I think I'll make a soup!  By the time I got the soup together and was talking to my friend Karen who was also down with the flu, I realized this soup had all of the components of the GOMBS Diet (Dr. Furman's anti-cancer diet) she had told me about the week before.  It stands for Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Beans/Berries, and Seeds.  Okay - so it's missing the seeds.  If you feel inclined, add them to the top of your soup!.  This soup was delicious. I will be making it again.  We cleverly named it Gombo as a take on "gumbo." Of course on a quick internet search I found that gombo actually is okra.  But I'm sticking to it anyway...

Gombo

1 medium brown/yellow onion chopped finely
2 cups crimini mushrooms cleaned and sliced
1 small head cabbage shredded
1 bunch of asparagus chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/2 bunch Kale chopped into small pieces
2 cans great northern beans (or 3 cups soaked over night and cooked a few hours)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 t cumin
4 cups veggie broth


Dry saute the onion (using a few T of veggie broth) until translucent and slightly browned. Add garlic and mushrooms and saute with more veggie broth as needed for about 5 minutes (until mushrooms are softened slightly).  Add the broth, beans, asparagus, kale, and cabbage and bring to a boil.  Add the cumin and reduce to a rapid simmer for about 20 minutes.  Add sea salt to taste.

Did you know mushrooms are SUPER full of benefits and the longer you cook them the more you get out of them?  Love it!

Eat up!  Stay Healthy!


Keeping it real! Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your ideas, suggestions, and feedback!