Thursday, August 2, 2012

Veggie Hodgepodge

I'm really starting to get into the summer vegetable mood.  I'm trying to come up with creative and EASY ways to use as many veggies as possible - without having to plan or look at recipes.  This meal was inspired by what was in my fridge and garden.


I can't even think of a name for it. It's a hodgepodge...but it was super yummy.


I had some Tofu in my fridge that I bought a few weeks ago. I haven't been making tofu over the last couple years b/c I'm on the fence about whether it's okay for you or not. But this brand is pretty well done - Organic AND it contains natural Nigiri which I'm told is a good thing.  Anyway - I needed to use this or it was going to go bad. 

 

After slicing it into bite sized pieces I sauteed it with some spices and garlic.  Note the browning that I like to do - it gives it more of a texture similar to chicken.  I highly recommend this.


As the tofu was cookin' and I was nearly done with the saute...I decided to add a little salt.  This is where things got really fun.  I just bought a new grinder of Himalayan Sea Salt from Trader Joes.  I had to take the plastic wrap off and then I flipped it over to grind the salt.  Apparently the lid was not attached so it fell off and HALF of the bottle of salt spewed all over the cooktop and into the sauteed veggies.  AGH! Nothing like your meal being wrecked when you're about to put it on the table!

 See the little pink crystlals? That's salt! Imagine how salty that would be?
I was able to dig out all the veggies and clean out the pan.  I did NOT add more salt to the final dish.  It was salty but not too bad.

For a little more heft for Mike I added some Soba Noodles.  He loved it and so did Kaelyn.  Next time, I'll make it with Spinach or Chard. The kale was a little chewy. 


Kale Tofu Pasta with Mushrooms and Sherry
Ingredients
1 lb kale, ribbed and shredded
1/2 cup sherry 
2/3 cup water
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 t olive oil
2 c mushrooms (crimini or button), sliced
1 large tomato, diced
2 t spice mix (chives, tarragon, parsley or something similar)
1 package firm tofu, sliced
Sea salt to taste

Directions
Boil water and cook soba noodles until tender (follow package instructions).  Set aside.

Heat 1.5 t of olive oil in a pan and saute one clove of garlic.  Pan fry the tofu over medium heat to brown the sides.  Add spice mix and keep warm over low heat.

Heat 1.5 t olive oil in a pan and saute mushrooms with remaining clove of garlic.  When mushrooms begin to soften, add 1/4 cup of the sherry. Saute until the mushrooms are soft, but not too soft.  As the sherry evaporates, add the kale and water as necessary to keep moist.  Once the kale and mushrooms are softened to your preference, add the tomato, additional sherry, tofu, and salt.  Saute until all is warm and combined.

Even Kaelyn was surprised how much she liked this. There is something magical about sherry and mushrooms that makes anything good!


Keeping it real! Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your ideas, suggestions, and feedback!