Monday, June 8, 2009

Hummus Recipe

So I'm having more requests for garden updates and recipe postings. Since I'm having technical difficulties, the garden pics will have to wait (though the garden is officially going CRAZY! - I love it!).

In the meantime, here's a recipe for super yummy and easy to make Hummus.

Buy dried Chick Peas (garbanzo beans)- I bought a pound and used 4 cups

Soak overnight in water that more than covers the chickpeas

Boil for about 3 hours (test the chickpeas and when they are soft enough to eat you can stop boiling them)

Cool for 15 mins so they are not super hot.

Put in blender with the following ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
3-4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon Cumin (depending on your preference)

Blend until smooth, adding the broth you boiled the lentils in to moisten and make smooth.

You can add other ingredients for flavor. I haven't tried it yet but plan to try red peppers, other spices, etc.

You can freeze this also - since it makes quite a bit. You can also freeze the cooked garbanzo beans and use for different things - on salads, in hummus that you make later, in other recipes (I'll post a good chickpea and swiss chard recipe later).

Have fun! Kaelyn just loves hummus. She dips her own crackers in them and also eats it by the fingerfull (or spoonfull!)

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I'll have to try it. I love hummus. Did you get the dried beans at Henrys? I should do a post about the $70 vegan cookies I made today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paprika is awesome in there too. One time I put too much, and it kind of tasted like the inside of a deviled egg... so for Easter I made my eggs with hummus instead of yolk on the inside and they were AMAZING :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your ideas, suggestions, and feedback!