Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sauteed Swiss Chard and Chickpeas

I feel like a trademark of any vegetarian/vegan is that they eat strange things like swiss chard, collard greens, and kale. And you most definitely see all of these thinks weekly, throughout the year, at the farmer's market. I know they have wonderful nutritional value, so we have incorporated them into our own diets now on a weekly basis. You can eat them like spinach which is easy (I usually add garlic, salt, and vinegar) but it gets a little boring. I'm still perfecting my ability to cook them all to the perfect texture, and I'm still exploring recipes. Here is one that is so much of a winner even Kaelyn begged for more!
This came from my Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian cookbook

Sauteed Swiss Chard and Chickpeas
2 t olive/canola oil
1/2 t ground cumin
2 t butter (optional)
1 T chopped green chiles
1 garlic clove
1 bunch swiss chard, cleaned and chopped (separate the stems and leaves but include both)
One 19-ounce can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained (can also use dried beans and cook them first)
1/2 t ground ginger
3/4 t garam masala

Okay - I'll be honest and I didn't have the masala, so I used MARSALA and it actually was quite good.


Heat the oil and butter until bubbling nearly subsides and butter is melted. Add cumin, cook just until fragrant (10-15 seconds). Add chiles and garlic, cook, stirring constantly until garlic is lightly browned (30-45 seconds).

Add chard stems, chick peas, and 1/4 cup of water, cook stirring gently until stems are softened and most of the liquid is evaporated (3-4 minutes). Stirn in chard leaves, ginger, and another 1/4 cup of water. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring as needed, until the greens are just tender, 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with garam masala; cook uncovered, stirring gently, until the remaining liquid is absorbed, 1-2 minutes.

166 calories, 6 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 7 g fiber 8 g protien, 20 g carbohydrate, 97 mg calcium.

Weight watchers points per serving: 3
Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your ideas, suggestions, and feedback!